After assessing the weather forecast for the proposed race start day (Saturday June 2nd) and for the days immediately thereafter the Race Director, Chris Martin and Safety Officer, Erden Eruc have taken the tough decision to delay the start of the Great Pacific Race 2018.
“We have decided to delay the start because of aggressive offshore weather. Wind speeds are expected to reach 30 kt (35 mph) and gust to more than 40 kt (46 mph) with short period wave heights of 12ft. Ocean row boats are designed to and can cope with the worst conditions that the Pacific can generate but we would prefer that our crews have the best possible and safest start to their race.” explains Race Director, Chris Martin.
The support team will continually assess the weather and make another announcement on Saturday morning (June 2nd) at 10am regarding the delayed start time. The start will be no earlier than Monday 4th June at 18:00 (6pm) but may be pushed back later depending on future weather forecasts.
In the meantime Steve and Mick are working hard to prepare for the race, ensuring their boat Bojangles is fully equipped for the challenges that lay ahead.